Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2015

Louie’s Chicken & Fish Grill


Louie’s Chicken & Fish Grill
960 N Mountain Ave
Upland, CA 91786
909-946-1300

Every week I read David Allen's Restaurant of the Week, while I don't always put those restaurants on my bucket list, I do keep them in mind.  Louie’s Chicken & Fish Grill, was one of those restaurants.  David reviewed Louie's back in 2009.  I drove past Louie's last year and said I should give them a try.  Almost a year later, I am finally able to check them off my bucketlist. 

The restaurant business is a brutal business; lots of competition, small margins, lots of hard for very little return on investment.  Some restaurants open up and within six months are gone, never to return. Well, Louie's is still in business today.  So that has to be a good sign right? 

The dining area has a TV that had the Monday Night Football game on.  They also had ceiling fans that were on and with the shadows from the lighting, it makes on kinda of dizzy.  There is a large patio area for nice outdoor dining. 

It's counter service, order at the counter and they bring the food out to you.



Mahi mahi, Cajun spice, with brown rice and broccoli and carrots, $12.99.  The mahi mahi was cooked perfectly!!  Moist, tender, and flaky.  It was also perfectly seasoned!  The portion size could have been a bit bigger, but otherwise a good item to order.  The broccoli and carrots had no seasoning at all, not even salt.  A simple pinch of salt would make this a much better side.  They were cooked perfectly!  The brown rice had been sitting under heat lamps for too long.  Some grains were hard and others were perfectly cooked.  If they improved the sides, this would be a very good dish.

Service was good.  Nice and friendly, and my order came out quickly!

Some minor improvements to the sides and maybe a bigger portion would make Louie's Chicken and Fish Grill a good place for a nice meal.  I'll give them another chance, but I won't rush back.