Search This Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cafe Gratitude

Cafe Gratitude
639 N Larchmont Blvd
Los Angeles
323-580-6383

I have never been to a vegan restaurant. But, a good friend told me Cafe Gratitude has awesome food, so I decided to give them a try. Located just south of Melrose, Cafe Gratitude is on the first level of a business building. There isn't a sign that you can see while driving on Larchmont, so look for the people, because it was packed the night I went.

Cafe Gratitude's concept is all about being grateful for the things you have in your life. The server will ask the question of the day, when you get seated. Our question of the day was, "What are you grateful for?" All menu items start with I am.

Unlike some stupid people on Yelp who will give a bad review for a vegan restaurant because they are meat eaters, I judge this vegan restaurant by the quality of the food.

I Am Fortified, $12.75-sauteed seasonal vegetables-corn, kale, carrots, steamed quinoa topped with a sesame-ginger sauce.

The vegetables were fresh, well seasoned and cooked perfectly, even the kale which I normally don't like. The sesame ginger sauce was light and well balance, you tasted both flavors but neither one overpowered each other. I have never had quinoa before and I was really like it. The texture was soft and different than any other grain I've had. The quinoa basically took the flavor of the sesame ginger sauce.

The server was very nice and helpful. He explained the menu and concept of Cafe Gratitude and answered all our questions. My only complaint about the service was he was slow to pick up the check. I bet we waited ten minutes before he finally came to pick up the check.

Overall I enjoyed my dinner at Cafe Gratitude. I think the prices are a bit high, but I know the Melrose/Mid-Wilshire area isn't cheap, so I can understand their prices. The food quality is top notch and I would gladly go back anytime.