Search This Blog

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hamburger Habit

Hamburger Habit
11223 National Blvd
Los Angeles
310-478-5000

Back in 2004 or 2005, I read that Hamburger Habit was rated one of the best burgers in LA by a radio food show.  Now, this is right before the gourmet burger craze hit LA.  Hamburger Habit has been on my list of places to try but I rarely go to the Palms area of LA.  But, over the Memorial Day weekend, I was in the area and finally dropped by.

Located at the very busy intersection of National Blvd and Sepulveda, is in a L-shape strip mall and backs up against the very busy 405.  The signage reminds me of gaudy Las Vegas hotels.  There is a sign that says Hamburger Habit was established in 1968.  The interior has a lot of chrome and white subway title. 


Sassy Cheese-Cheddar cheese instead of swiss, dressing, lettuce, tomatoes on a sesame egg bun, $5.78.  The meat they use is fresh, not frozen, chuck steak.  The meat is good quality but one side of my burger sat on the grill for too long and there was chard pieces on one side.  The toppings were fresh, the bun nicely toasted.  But, there is nothing outstanding about this burger.  It certainly wasn't worth the $5.78 price tag.

Service is good.  The guy who took my order greeted me when I walked up to the counter and was nice and friendly.

I'm sure if I went to Hamburger Habit when I first found out about them, I would have said I liked the burger.  But, the burger isn't better than In N Out and it's almost double the price.  I understand the cost of doing business on the snotty Westside is high, the quality of the burger doesn't justify the high price tag.  I won't go back to Hamburger Habit anytime soon.