Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Shanghai Express


Shanghai Express
500 Elmira Rd
Vacaville, CA 95687
707-451-3388

So I'm in Vacaville, CA and don't know the area at all.  But, I'm hungry and searched online and found two restaurants, China Stix Kitchen and Shanghai Express.  I went to Shanghai Express since it was only a short drive from where I was staying.

This is a fast casual restaurant.  They have a steam table full of food.  Or you can order something off their menu.  I decided to order off the menu.  The restaurant is small with about 8-10 tables.  One sloppy family just finished eating and they made a mess, there was only one child in that family, who was maybe 10 years old.  The lady didn't even clean up the area the entire time I was there, maybe 15 minutes.

Garlic prawns-$9.25 large order.  This was an ok dish.  Good portion with about a dozen medium sized prawns.  I wasn't expecting a bunch of bamboo shoots but they were fine.  The garlic sauce was flavorful.  But, the prawns themselves were a bit tough and didn't taste as though they were that fresh.


Vegetable chow mein-$5.75 large order.  This was a good dish.  Not much in terms of veggies, a few pieces of carrots, some chopped up celery and some green onions.  But, there were a lot of noodles and they were well seasoned and cooked.  Portion size was great and a great value!

Service was friendly.  But, the lady helping me, must have been new because she didn't know the prices-she had to look at the menu for the prices.  She also didn't clean up the mess made by that family.

Shanghai Express is one step up from a Panda Express.  I wouldn't go rush back but wouldn't mind giving them another chance.  The prawns, if they were fresh, could be a good dish!