Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Mambo’s Cafe


Mambo’s Cafe
1701 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-545-8613

I first heard of Mambo’s Cafe on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and it has been on my bucketlist of places to try since 2010.  Finally, I made it to Mambo's!

While their location is Glendale,  it's not the part of Glendale most people know.  It's on the order of Burbank and just south of the 5 freeway.  It has to be a former gas station in a former life, but a nice restaurant now.  A nice counter with about eight seats and a good sized dining room.  They have live jazz every Tuesday.



Camarones Al Ajillo (with Vegetable Rice & Sm. Salad) Shrimp Grilled, topped with Special Garlic Sauce, $16.95.  

While this was a very good dish- the vegetable rice had onions, corn, peas, and cooked in a broth that made it very flavorful, the seven medium sized shrimp were well cooked and the garlic sauce had a nice flavor, the portion size is terrible!  I mean even when ordering shrimp fried rice you get about a dozen shrimp and most places it's around $10.  Yes, I know I am comparing a Chinese dish with a Cuban dish.  But, I could do the same with a Peruvian dish-shrimp with noodles.

Service is pretty good.  While they came around often, were friendly, they never once asked how everything was!!

I wouldn't go back to Mambo's Cafe.  While the food was good, the portion size and price do not make this a good value.