Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Michael’s Pizzeria


Michael’s Pizzeria
5616 E 2nd St
Long Beach, CA 90803
562-987-4000

Michael’s Pizzeria opened in 2013, right next door to Michael's on Naples-which is a fine dining restaurant.  Around 2014, I read that Michael's Pizzeria was the #1 pizza place in America.  I found that hard to believe, but wanted to give them a try.  But, I never got around to go to Long Beach.  But, on a cloudy Saturday I was nearby and figured I should finally try it.

Michael's Pizzeria is a like Settebello, in Pasadena, and Desano Pizza Bakery, in East Hollywood, a Neapolitan style pizza.  The pizza are baked in wood burning oven.  They are personal sized, about 10in. 



Margarita Pizza $14, with House-made mozzarella, San Marzano tomato sauce, basil, and extra virgin olive.  The sauce was a bit watery, and bland.  No flavor or seasoning at all.  The basil was charred in a few places, but the mozzarella was very good.  The crust was good, but salty.  The saltiness of the crust made up for the blandness of the tomato sauce.  The price is fair, as they use good quality ingredients, but the execution wasn't there!  They currently have a promotion; every Monday, if you buy any pizza, you get a margarita pizza free!! 

Service, I got my order to go, was good.

I was expecting a lot from Michael's and they didn't deliver.  It's a good version of  Neapolitan style pizza, but not the best! Of the Neapolitan style pizza I've tried within the past 3-5 years, I would rank DeSano #1, Settebello #2, and Michael's a distance third place.