Search This Blog

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Tokoro Japanese Restaurant


Tokoro Japanese Restaurant
802 Fair Oaks Ave
South Pasadena, CA 91030
626-403-2542

Tokoro is near six restaurants that I have reviewed; Nori Sushi Wrap, Modan Artsian Ramen, Gus's BBQ, Mamma's Brick Oven Pizza Nonna Pizzeria, and Fairoaks Pharmacy.  Tokoro is owned by the same owners as Little Tokyo Restaurant in San Dimas, both have the same exact menu!

This is a very busy restaurant!  I arrived about 30 minutes early and there was a steady stream of customers.  Almost every table was taken and when people were finished eating, another group quickly filled the table.  Always a good sign.

Snow crab roll-$7.95.  Soy paper instead of seaweed.  Very good and fresh snow crab and I like the sushi rice. 
Blue fin tuna-$6.95.  First time getting blue fin tuna and WOW, I've been missing out!  This had tremendous flavor and texture.  Much better than even the best tuna sushi I've had!.  I would order this again, and the portion size makes the price a steal!!

Sexy roll, $13.95-spicy crab meat, shrimp, salmon, and sprout wrapped around cucumber.  A very light and refreshing!  Everything was very fresh.  A very good roll!

Shrimp tempura roll-$9.95-shrimp tempura, crab meat, avocado, and cucumber.  This roll is larger than most shrimp tempura rolls I've had.  But, very good, a huge piece of shrimp tempura and other fresh ingredients.

Service was good.  Our drinks were refilled quickly and the sushi came out quickly.  But, my friend ordered the salmon teriyaki, which took a bit longer to prepare than the sushi.  I got all my sushi before she got her salmon teriyaki.  Maybe they thought we were going to split the sushi, but I would have preferred we got everything at roughly the same time.

I would go back to Tokoro anytime.  I may even give Little Tokyo Restaurant a try soon!