Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2012

The Kitchen

The Kitchen
4348 Fountain Ave
Los Angeles
323-664-3663

I was in the Silver Lake area the other night. It was late. I was hungry. I didn't want pizza since I had pizza a couple nights before. So, it was eating at The Kitchen or driving around and searching for a restaurant that was still open. So I looked at their menu and decided to give them a try.

The Kitchen is a small restaurant located just south of Sunset, on Fountain Ave. It a very popular locals hang out. I heard it can get very crowded for brunch on the weekends.




I got the fried Chicken, $14, farm fresh 7 oz boneless breast with gravy and double garlic mashed, instead of succotash. I don't know what they use as a scale, but if that piece of chicken was 7 oz., then I want that scale when I weigh myself. The chicken breast was huge, I would guess much bigger than 7 oz. The skin was nice and crispy and well seasoned, but as I got the end part, it was very salty, maybe from soaking up the gravy? The chicken was moist, tender, and flavorful.

The gravy was a thick gravy, well seasoned, and just the right amount for the chicken and garlic mashed potatoes.

The garlic mashed potatoes were very good. A nice thick texture with a good, but not overwhelming, amount of garlic.

Service was friendly, but lacking. My drink wasn't refilled, even though both the server and busboy came to the table often. The server didn't come back to ask how the meal was. Matter of fact she only came when she had to; taking our order, serving our food, dropping off the check, and taking the money. They weren't busy at all, so I don't know why we didn't see her more often.

I did enjoy the food at The Kitchen, but the service needs to improve before I would go back.