Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Modern Times-Closed

Modern Times
832 S Olive St
Los Angeles, CA 90014
213-878-7008

Modern Times is one of the newer bars/breweries in the downtown LA area.  A few people have told me the food is very good at Modern Times, so I decided to check them out.

The building has a dining room right as you walk in, and the bar in the back, at the very front there is a seating area with a counter and a couple tables.  On your first visit you're not sure if you need to check in with the host or if you can walk to the bar.  The need better signage, instead of people wasting time while waiting for the host.


Double burger-$16 with $2 for the fries.  A "double" beyond burger with smoked mushrooms, shallot jam, roasted tomato spread, American coconut cheese, and lettuce.  If you bought a package of the Beyond Burger at any grocery store, you know it's a thick patty.  Here, they cut one patty in half and then pretend it's a "double burger." After one bite, the burger patty just fell apart.  It was ok,  nothing special and certainly not a double burger.  The fries were good, worth the extra $2.

Service was ok.  You order at the bar, and they only had one bartender working.  With a good crowd, he was very busy.  Oh, I saw at a table, left me stuff on the table and went to the restroom.  When I came back a group of entitled millennials girls came in, took my stuff off the table and then sat down.  Good thing I'm a nice guy, after telling them they took my table, I found a place along the counter.  Memo to you entitled millennail twits, when you see something left on a table, don't take that table.  It belongs to somebody else.

I won't go back to Modern Times.