Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bay Cities Italian Deli & Bakery

Bay Cities Italian Deli & Bakery
1517 Lincoln Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90401
(310) 395-8279

After I reached my storage limit on The New Diner, I decided to start The New Diner 2. Any fellow bloggers please change your link to direct readers to The New Diner 2.

It figures, the first review of The New Diner 2 had to be on a westside restaurant. Yes, the hate for the pretentious jerk people of the westside will continue from The New Diner to The New Diner 2.

Bay Cities has been on my list of places to try. But, with high gas prices, thanks worthless Obama, and just my general contempt for the westside, I haven't made any real effort to go.

But, a beautiful Sunday in March and I'm in Santa Monica and finally make it to Bay Cities Italian Deli & Bakery.



I got the famous Godmother,large size with mortadella, cappacola, genoa salami, ham, prosciutto, provolone, $8.35. WOW, wow, this was an awesome sandwich. The meats, they use Boar's Head meats, was such good quality and freshness. There were layers and layers of good quality meats. But, I think what makes this such a great sandwich is the freshly baked Italian rolls. That toasted crust, just adds so much to the sandwich. A great great sandwich.

Service is good. But, expect a long wait!! First, make sure you take a number. Then be patient. I must have waited 30 minutes in line before my number was called. A lady was telling me the amount of people there would be considered a slow period. WOW, but I'm not surprised.

What I was surprised was their pricing for condiments. A large costs $8.15. A large with the works-mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, dressing, is $8.80. But, if you wanted a "custom" made sandwich with condiments you choose, it's 10 cents per condiment, with mayo and mustard free. So my lettuce and tomatoes added 20 cents to bill. Come on, are delis and sandwich shops going to nickel and dime people that much?? Ok, I saved money not buying the works, but to add a dime here and there, stupid.

Overall, I enjoyed my sandwich and experience at Bay Cities. While I don't like their nickel and dime condiment pricing policy, the sandwich is great, and I'll be back. Though it maybe awhile, since I my level of tolerance for pretentious, jerk people has been reached!!